About Fluenz French Software.
Fluenz is one of the newest language learning software’s available and it is becoming quite popular program for studying languages like Spanish, German, Chinese as well as French. According to Fluenz teaching approach, adult learners need explanations and understanding of how the whole language is structured. Therefore all the lessons in Fluenz come with translation to English and detailed explanations on all parts of French language.
This French learning program uses a video based language tutor that will guide you through the whole course. A typical lesson in Fluenz begins with an introduction to the topic of the lesson. At times these introductions are quite long and they might even take up to 7 minutes. After that you will listen to a dialogue between native French speakers and later get explanations from Sonia Gill. The explanations include word constructions, vocabulary, grammar and etc., so that you would understand everything in the conversation. Later on, you can choose to do different exercises that will test your knowledge on the material you have learned in the lessons. In the end of each session you will hear a final comment from Sonia and sometimes even get some cultural information.
Review of The Main Features.
At the moment Fluenz offers a total of 5 levels for studying French, so learners can achieve more advanced level in this foreign language. If you already have some French learning experience, you can skip to 3-5 parts directly, which will save you both time and money. Each level of Fluenz includes 30 sessions, so you will get a total of 150 lessons in all parts of this program. In order to complete one lesson of Fluenz and practice new studying material properly, you might need to dedicate at least 1-2 hours of your time. In each session of Fluenz, learners are being introduced to about 3-5 new French phrases. Other time is being dedicated to explanations and repetition of previous studying content. So even though learners might learn fewer vocabulary with Fluenz, at least they are able to recall studying content and understand how French language is structured.
While it doesn’t take much time to go through the main studying content in each lesson (dialogue & explanation video), Fluenz provides learners with different workouts & flashcards. These activities are very beneficial for practicing French language from different angles and making sure that you are able to recall studying content. Some of my favorite activities in Fluenz are Role play and Matching a word with a picture workouts. Of course, there are many others that try test learners knowledge on previously introduced studying content. It is worthwhile to mention that many exercises in Fluenz ask learners to write words they hear or see, so be prepared to do some typing.
One quite useful feature of Fluenz is ability to turn on and off subtitles in the dialogues. Once you hear the dialogues for the first time, it might be a good idea to keep subtitles on in both English and French. This will allow you to understand each part of conversation and learn spelling of different French words. Later it might be worthwhile to turn them off so that you would be able to test and improve your French comprehension skills.
Fluenz software comes together with additional audios that can be useful for practicing French comprehension and speaking skills. These audios can be also very beneficial for learners who want to study French on the move. If you can’t spend time near you computer, you can simply transfer them to your preferred device and learn on the go. The other great feature of Fluenz is that studying content in this course can be accessed by using different devices. You can download Fluenz app and study conveniently on the go while using your phone (or other supporting device). It is also possible to access studying content in Fluenz online (whenever you have an WiFi). Alternatively learners can download Fluenz sessions and use them later to study French without internet connection. Also with Fluenz you will not lose track of your learning progress, because the program knows where you last left off.
What Do Other People Reviews Say?
Most of online reviews that you will find about Fluenz French software are positive. Most users of of this software recommend it because Fluenz provides explanations on all aspects of French so it is not too difficult to progress in a new language. Also most users confirm that different activities in Fluenz helped them to practice & recall studying material from this course.
Some of the most common complains that you will hear about Fluenz French is that it’s too expensive or that it’s oriented mostly for travelers. Also some learners who are not complete beginners at French, find the pace of learning in Fluenz too slow. Read a few reviews of actual users of Fluenz French software bellow.
Want to read more reviews of Fluenz French software? Then visit Amazon website here.
Review of the Main Strong and Weak Sides.
- There are a total of 5 levels of this program available so more advanced French learners can go directly to 3-5 parts and beginners can learn way more;
- Audio CD’s in Fluenz allow learners to study French on the go, which makes this program suitable for busy people. Also there is Fluenz app available that allows to study and access all material in the course via iPhone, iPad or Android devices;
- Fluenz provides studying material and features to practice all elements of French – grammar, speaking, listening, writing and reading;
- Explanations provided after each dialogue are very useful for understanding French grammar and language structure, so learners don’t need to do any guessing when following Fluenz program;
- Some culture information is provided during the lessons, so learners can learn more about native French people and how to communicate with them better;
- Different exercises and studying features make Fluenz an interactive and fun program for studying, so learners are much less likely to get bored. Also completing workouts, using flashcards and doing other different activities in this software can help to learn French from different angles and improve overall learning efficiency;
- The design of Fluenz is very engaging and photos in the program are selected specifically for each language. The software is also very intuitive and easy to navigate so most users will not need any guidelines or tutorials to understand how to use it;
- Most of French vocabulary that Fluenz teaches can be called essential. So if you are planning a trip to France (or other French speaking country), you will find this program useful for learning survival phrases & vocabulary;
- This software has advanced tracking, which means that all your learning activity in Fluenz is fully recorded;
- Fluenz provides different features for practicing French from different angles (workouts, flashcards, audios and etc.) and it does sufficient repetition of new studying content. Due to this it is not too difficult to keep retention rate high when studying French via this program;
- Since Fluenz provides quite a lot of English explanations, it might be difficult to immerse into French language fully when studying via this program;
- The instructor of video based lessons is not a native French speaker, so you will not hear native accent at all times;
- Quite a lot of exercises in this program require you to type (words and phrases that you either hear or see written). Although it helps to increase retention greatly, but it’s also time-consuming way to practice French;
- Fluenz workouts are not based on points system (like in Rosetta Stone), so it might be difficult to follow your progress with them and come back to more difficult exercises later;
- This software lacks social features for studying that would allow interaction with either a tutor or other French learners;
- Fluenz is one of the most expensive courses for learning French. Depending on the number of levels you will choose to buy, the price can vary between $177-$368;
- Since there is quite a lot of repetition and explanations in Fluenz, each new lesson introduces very limited new studying content (vocabulary and grammar concepts). So even after finishing all 5 levels of Fluenz French, don’t expect to become fluent at this foreign language;
- Since Fluenz vocabulary is mostly oriented for travelers, you might be a bit disappointed with this software if you learning French for other purposes;
Summary of a Review.
To conclude this review it could be said that Fluenz can be a great learning program for any learner who is just beginning to study French. In depth explanations in this course will help you progress in French confidently and improve all parts of this foreign language. Different studying features in this software increase overall learning efficiency and help to ensure that learners have sufficient tools for practicing their language skills from different angles. The fact that users can access studying content in Fluenz via different devices, makes this program suitable for busy French learners too. So if you are looking for these features in French learning program, it is definitely worthwhile to consider Fluenz software.
Some downsides of Fluenz are that this software lacks social studying features. Some competitor French programs offer either e-tutoring or ability to communicate with other learners. Also since Fluenz provides explanations on all parts of French, it can be difficult for learners to immerse into target language completely. In depth explanations and repetition in this program also leave less time for introducing new studying content. So in each session of Fluenz you will be able to learn only little new studying content (vocabulary, grammar and etc.).
In case you are interested in finding out more about available online courses for studying French, you should also read this article. It provides a list of top 6 online programs for learning this foreign language and points out their main advantages and disadvantages.
Where to buy Fluenz French Courses?
If you will decide that Fluenz is the right program for you, you can buy it on Amazon or official website online. Both of these mentioned sites usually offer it at the same price, so there is no large difference from where to purchase this French course.
Currently Fluenz French program is priced at $348 for 5 parts on Amazon. There is also an option to purchase 3 parts of this course that are priced at $310. So the best offer for Fluenz is to buy all 5 parts in the bundle and save some money in the long run. Of course, if you are already familiar with French language, it might be worthwhile to consider purchasing only 3-5 levels of Fluentz.